This morning was one of those where you just have to laugh in order to avoid crying. Chris had an early-ish flight to Nashville, I had to get both kids to school/daycare and be at work by 9am for a meeting. Julia's school does not start until 8:35 and Sam cannot be at his daycare until 8:45. I was up for the challenge.
Everyone was loaded into the car by 8:03. Julia picked Starbucks as her drive-thru of choice for breakfast and we were off. Although she stayed home yesterday with a slight fever and upset tummy she had been totally fine (tummy-wise) for 24 hours. So, she goes for a chocolate milk and banana bread. She took one bit of the banana bread and chugged 2/3 of the box of milk.
I was doing so well on time I even had time to stop at the gas station. As the car was filling up, Julia signals to me that she doesn't want any more of her breakfast - she is full. I take the bag from her. She burps. Then she regurgitated it all over herself in the car.
For a brief minute I thought - "can I send her to school like that?" She must have thought the same thing because instead of freaking out she looked down at her dress and said "I can just wipe it off and go to school." Somehow I think the teachers may have noticed...
She was adamant that she wanted to wear that dress to school and didn't want to go home and change. Since that wasn't going to work, I just put the kibosh on school, called my dad and told him I was dropping off a vomit-ridden kid at their house. He said "ok, let me put on pants first" :)
We get to his house, unload her booster in case he needs to drive her somewhere and take up the mat under the booster that protects the seat. The mat was covered in regurgitated chocolate milk. I folded it up along its 4 pleats and was going to take it inside to rinse it off at which point Julia takes it out my hand and says "it's my spit up, I should be the one to carry it." Seriously, is it possible for a kid to be too responsible? Today, I might argue yes.
Then Sam cried the whole way to school. Good times. On the bright side, I was only 10 minutes late to my meeting!
Oh, ps - she is totally not sick. I think her tummy had not yet readjusted to food (specifically dairy & chocolate) after very little food yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment