When I was a teenager in NC, there was one interracial couple in my High School and nobody (to my recollection) that was openly gay. Even in college at the very liberal UNC-CH where 'rainbow stickers' were on every other car in town, I knew only one or two people who were 'out.' Today, some of those same people who were not 'out' are major players in the LGBT fight for equality. In the past 20 years you have come a long way NC, but as we learned on Tuesday, not far enough.
I can only hope that as my sweet Julia and Sam grow up they live in a world where there is less discrimination than there is today.
I've been watching all of the heated arguments on Facebook this week and it seems that many religious zealots are quoting Biblical phrases to support their argument for Amendment One. They are defending their vote by saying that "God's word is that marriage should be between one man and one woman." While I'm no religious scholar, it struck me that these same folks seem to be taking the tact of "do as I say, not as I do"....while the Bible may reflect these 'sayings' (and a lot of other things that are outdated or taken as not applicable such as men owning women and not eating cloven foot animals), Jesus was compassionate. There are other verses that describe His actions including love and compassion for outcasts and sinners.
John 8:7 - He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
*Note: For the record, I do not believe that homosexuality is a sin or that homosexual marriage is a sin. I'm merely using the last sentence as a general bucket for the outcasts (at that time lepers, adulterers, etc.) that Jesus did not shun.
No comments:
Post a Comment